Fathers of the church refer that it was following this event that He created the human generation so as to fulfill the Tagma that had fell out the humans.
God, out of His excessive love, defined man as a kind of creation, and part of the paradise. According to God’s will, man should live beside Him in His glory in an immortal and perpetual world.
Thus, Devil hates humanity, and has managed to deceive and allure man in sin and death. Since then, man disobeying God’s will, lost paradise and became mortal.
Good God, coming by our savior, loves his creativities: he permitted His Son and His Logos to incarnate in the face of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ as human, suffered and offering us the possibility to save ourselves, through the mysteries of our church.
Church lies in the place of Christ extending its vocation to the end of the time. In our attempt to save ourselves, (Panagia) the Holy Mother, the Saints, the holy angels stand in our support, in our side.
Particularly, one angel that he divine providence offers to us in the time of our baptism as guard, is continually standing beside us.
This angel is the guard angel, guide and protector of our soul. When we have the attitude to regret or the will and desire to confess or make alms or charity or act innocent, we ought to know that this derives from the invisible invasion of the angel- guard of ours, who is the beloved friend of our soul.
We wish that with the prayers and under the shelter of all the angels, particularly that of Michael Panormitis, God will give us the strength to precede our fight against sin, awarding us with the kingdom of heaven. Amen…
Since the early times of Christianity, according to various written sources and particularly to Paul’s Epistle to collosaeis, the heresy of angel worship was in its prime in Frygia of Asia Minor (region opposite to Symi Island).
It was believed, then, that men were not fair enough to contact to God).
This conception influenced the inhabitants of the Aegean Sea and thus, new centers of worship were created in Symi. These were specially inclined to angels’ worship in parallel to the godliness of the locals. These centers survive even when this herecy gives its place to orthodoxy.
In sum, there are nine monasteries devoted to the archangel Michael (equal in number to the nine sections of angels).
The biggest monastery is that of Panormitis lying in the southern edge of the island. It was built in the inmost part of the pittoresque cove of Panormos. The monastery is named after this ‘panormos’ (where all the currents are hushed).
According to a local legend, the church had been built soon after a lady named “Mario (Maria) from Protenio”- who was a reverent native- found an icon of St Michael.
That lady donated her own house, for the church to be built. The temple of our times, was built in the 18th century- in 1783- as encraved on an epigraph of marble found on an outer wall.
The temple is a basiliki with two inner cross cupola fully painted. The painting of sacred icons was carried out by native painters (Neophytos and Kyriakos Karakostis) in 1792.
The excellent frame work scran is a brilliant product of fine skill chancel and patience of a great artist named Drakos Tolidouros coming from Kos Island. This started its construction in the same year with the church but was not fulfilled until fifteen years later.
The sparkling icon of St Michael in natural size, surprises the visitor as it inspects the Katholikon (the inner church).
The silver cover all wrought in relief gives further Grilliance and splendor to the luminous figure of the archangel the great. It was made by a silversmith named Ioannis Peloponisios in 1794, on the local community’s expenses.
This was proved by an iambic epigraph saved on the surface of the sword on the right hand of the archangel. St Michael is portrayed , dynamic, and vanquisher. His features in repose and a mana sweetness were imprinted on his divine face.
A dead human body is lying under his feet. Archangel is pictured carrying on his left hand, a baby- symbolizing the soul of that dead man. This is a reminder of his role of the soul- carrier angel. In the course of history the Monastery took action on national protests and showed noticeable charity.
The monks living here, for the sake of orthodox faith, were contended under difficult circumstances. Nevertheless, they also took part in the revolutions of the nation. The scholar prior of the monastery Nicandros Filadelphos being a prominent member of the Filiki Etaireia contributed to greek revolution of 1821.
During the greek revolution of 1821 many military ships from Hydra island seeked for help to the monastery. The soldiers payed back that help, building a room for the receptions in the court of the monastery. They named that room “ Hydraeko” after the Hydra island, country of those soldiers sponsors.
In this very place, the second congress of the citizens of the Dodecanese took place in 1919. Then, the natives came to the resolution of unification with the rest of the other greek territories.
During the 2nd world war monastery became the center of the intelligence service of the Alliance, as in its premises, a wireless was operating.
The prime Chrysanthos Maroulakis, together with a greek wireless operator named Floros Lambros were arrested and been executed by the Germans in February 1944. on the monastery’s expenses a bronze monument has been built, in memorial.
The foundation contributed enormously to the education of the youngsters of the island, founding the school of St Marina and the gymnasium (High school) of Panormitis in 1922 ( by the prime Makarios Barvas).
In its museums the visitor can see a rich collection of heirlooms. They are placed in order as manuscripts decorated with colorful additions, portable icons, valuable sacred articles, gold – knitted vestments silver buckles and numerous valuable ex- votos.
The big gold – knitted epigraph is worth notice: it is made in Russia in 1852 of red velvet. In the center the body of Jesus knitted in relief, is surrounded by His mother, by angels and Myrofores.
The knitting style is fine and artificial. It is narrating the divine sweetness of Christ. The rest of the persons express depressed pain gentleness and peace.
The epithaph is surrounded by the apolitikion “the noble Joseph …” in gold knitting as well. This is a present of the Russian consul in Konstantinoupolis Zachary Zacharov to the prime of that time. The latter had been the one of the consul’s educators during his service in Konstantinoupolis.
In the first room of the same museum, numerous ships are exhibited. Most of them sail here in the bay of the monastery.
Many bottles and boxes, to the archangel protector Michael are also exhibited in the same museum. In the museum of folklore, we can see a collection of sea antiquities, the old cellar the traditional house ware of Symi, the first cuisine of the monastery, agricultural utensils, wights and measures of the 19th century, the room and the loom etc in an other place all the personal items of the executed prime Chrysanthos are kept.
The library comprises 6000 volumes on various subjects as theology, philosophy, math's, medicine, literature etc. in our gallery, many paintings are exhibited : all of them represent the monastery or the island.
The great Trapeza (Dining room) is cited in the yard. It is really big and has been decorated recently with big size icons of “Dodecaorton”. Convents concerts of Byzantine music take place in this room where 3000 persons can sit and dine.
In the name day of the angels they do so, indeed. In the same place, there is a little chapel devoted to st John the Prodrome, that was renewed on expenses, in 1987. the other chapel of the monastery next to katholikon, is devoted to the Annunciation of Virgin Mary.
The foundation also sponsors many organizations and gives scholarships to students.
On the anme of the angels on November 8th, every year the monastery honors the Holy Angels of the sky. Thousand of pilgrims come here to honor Michael.
After liturgy the icon of the archangel is carried around the monastery (this is a tradition in Greece).
The monastery gives a reception to all the pilgrims- according to the port authorities the pillgrimers of the day rise almost to 7000